107 DIFFERENT DOUGHNUT CONSUMPTION OCCASIONS AS DICTATED BY THE UK PUBLIC (ALLOWING YOU TO RATIONALISE ANY FUTURE TRAY PURCHASE, GUILT FREE)
EVERYONE loves a doughnut (or donut). We REALLY love doughnuts. But why do people love these balls of sugary fried fabulousness so much?
On what is recognised as #NationalDonutDay (1 June) we’re sharing what we learned from the UK’s doughnut lovers (via the awesomeness of Brandwatch).
Is doughnut-love so prevalent because there’s a variety of doughnut to suit every taste? Or is it something more?
We discovered that it’s because there is – quite literally – an occasion for every doughnut.
107 occasions to be exact, and we are pretty sure that everyone reading will identify with at least one, if not more of these.
Because when it comes to doughnuts we were able to easily categorise each of these 107 occasions into 3 broad consumption settings: personal, communal and ‘hybrid’ where they may be eaten alone or in company.
(JUST SOME OF YOUR) PERSONAL CONSUMPTION OCCASIONS
- UNWINDING – The humble doughnut is your ultimate comfort food and cure-all for recovery from hangovers, heartbreak or just a cosy night in.
- DIET & FITNESS (!) – Mad as it sounds we learned that these sugary holes help you guys set personal goals by providing the perfect post-workout energy boost or #CheatDay treat.
- ENERGY & ERRANDS – It seems doughnuts are the spoonfuls of sugar that help to get you through difficult days when there’s just too much on your plate.
- NOSTALGIA – Memories linked to food are very powerful and for y’all doughnuts are a time-traveling doorway to treasured moments such as family trips to the seaside or funfair.
- #SOZNOTSOZ #JUSTCOS – sometimes buying a doughnut is an occasion in itself, worthy of celebration. When the craving calls, eating your doughnut can be the best moment of the day.
(A FEW OF YOUR) COMMUNAL CONSUMPTION OCCASIONS
- SHARING & CARING –Want to show someone you love them? Doughnut. Want to apologise? Doughnut. Want to say thank you? Doughnut. Sharing doughnuts is shorthand for showing how much you care.
- HIGH DAYS & HOLIDAYS – Weddings, birthdays, day trips. We encountered your mentions of doughnuts via all of these ‘glaze of your lives’ (boom boom).
- WORK – We observed the extent to which doughnuts are the foundation of office and uni life, fuelling students through their study days (food for thought?) and bonding work buddies.
- CAMPAIGNS – when people love something as unconditionally and universally as doughnuts the right campaign pitched in the right way is guaranteed to stimulate conversation and deep audience engagement.
(ALONE OR IN COMPANY) HYBRID CONSUMPTION OCCASIONS
- MEALTIMES – Q: Is it acceptable to eat doughnuts for dinner? A: Of course! It’s a peak perk of #adulting. Those who delight in doughnuts defiantly enjoy them round the clock and ‘round the table’ for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and brunch, elevensies and afternoon tea).
- TRAVELLING – Business or pleasure. A treat on a road trip or a way of coping with a long airport delay, doughnuts provide get up and dough and keep the nation moving.
What do we do with this information? Other than showing how kick ass we are at understanding any product in record-time and decoding at least a year’s worth of content planning in less than a week?
We suggest you go out and get a big tray of your faves asap because #NationalDonutDay is surely the PEAK communal consumption occasion that requires absolutely no additional form of rationalisation!
If you like the glaze on our doughnut then get in touch at @DI_Insights or email@example.com
This research was powered by Brandwatch.